Friday 30 April 2021

TWO LAYER DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH NUTELLA FROSTING AND RECIPE

 


I am a huge cake fan girl! I love me a good classic butter cake slice with my afternoon tea. I like the butter-y morsels complementing the tea and it's an experience on it's own, I tell you!

This experiment was a different take for me, I like my cakes either from a single cake pan or a sheet cake (think rectangle/square pans) essentially a single layer in it's simplicity with no fancy frosting.



The original plan for 2020 was to sign up for a baking class as I felt like I want to venture beyond the classic butter cake recipes! A classic and will always be my all-time favourite, it never fails.

However, the internet paves so many routes to beautiful imagery of cake and cake slices being beautifully plated with gorgeous crockery with layers and layers of varying flavours. Lychee, mango.. Vanilla, classic chocolate and neapolitan with frosting that looks out of this world. I just need to give myself this push.


Then came the Circuit Breaker phase and at one go, I baked a few pastries and two cakes on the weekends. More people at home and we were just easing into this work from home and home based learning situations. Just after that my oven stopped working, catastrophe!

Especially so as most business operations came to a halt, neither do I particularly fancy bakes sold outside. It was a challenge and my hunt for no-bake recipes began, for cold desserts.

I still pretty much leaned towards my comfort and simple ingredients and with the exception of being generous with the cocoa powder for that extra dark appearance. Almost like a brownie, it's a league of it's own. This time, I am going to try out frosting too!


Two Layer Double Chocolate Cake with Nutella Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 180 gms of unsalted butter
  • 200 gms of castor sugar (add another 100gms if you like it sweeter)
  • 3 eggs (room temperature)
  • 150 gms of butter milk
  • 5 gms of vanilla extract
  • 350 gms plain flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 200 gms of good quality cocoa powder
  • 5 gms of baking soda
  • 3 gms of bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 x 7' inch round cake tins
  • butter to grease the cake tins
  • Preheated oven at 200 Deg Celsius

Method:

Ensure all dry ingredients go through the sieve to remove any impurities and lumps and are mixed together till just combined.

Cream the butter and sugar, till pale and fluffy. Then slowly add in the eggs one at a time. Lastly add in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.

Now add the dry ingredients at three intervals, ensure the powders are well combined with the wet mixture. Do not over beat the mixture, it toughens the cake.

Pour equal amounts of cake batter into two well-greased cake tins and bake them for about 30 - 35 mins at 180 Deg Cel or until when you insert the skewer, it comes out clean. 

Leave them to cool and add any frosting of your choice, I used Nutella in my frosting.


Nutella Frosting

  • 250 gms of snow sugar (sifted)
  • 100 gms of nutella spread
  • 80 gms of unsalted butter
  • Some milk if the frosting looks thick (we want an easy to frost spread)




I used a flat cake spatula for my crumb coat, a light thin layer to catch the loose crumbs and to set the stage for the thicker frost to lay nice on top and on the sides of the cakes. Since this was just a trial, I did not feff about the look of it.

Oh boy! Only when I cut the cake through and shared the cake slices.. Did we realize that it was so good, it lasts well for about a week. I was careful to place an aluminium foil to cover the exposed cake after the initial slices.

This prevented the cake from dying out plus buttermilk is a great ingredient to keep the cake moist and gives that sponge-y bite to the cake. I asked if I could offer to bake for a few birthdays coming up, it was a harmonious 'Yes'

Guess, I will have to do more research on different types of piping nozzles and colours, this is going to be fun! Let me know if you try this recipe out!


Stay Safe,


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

If there are any video requests for me, please drop me a message below. Thank You!!

© TheLeiaV | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig