Friday 26 October 2018

Sephora Matte Perfection Liquid & Powder Foundation Review



By now, you should be knowing that I am constantly on the hunt for the newest in face base that comes with an affordability price tag and good shade selection for me and my fellow tribe members.

As such I was pleasantly surprised when I had stumbled upon Sephora's newest launch of their collection range of Matte Perfection Liquid and Powder foundation. Me, a brown woman with oily skin definitely not the most uncommon, I've gotten used to blotting my face every a couple of hours whenever I wear makeup. If that can be reduced, it's definitely a plus.

I was excited to just try out once I confirmed that the liquid and powder foundation are SGD 26.00 each and comes in 10 shades only whereas outside of Singapore in France and the States, this range has a whopping 35 shades available. When will this poor shade variety cease, gosh! The lightest shade in this foundation starts from Ivory (for pale/light skin tones with neutral undertones) to Bronze (for deeper end of medium skin tones with yellow undertones) Unfortunately, this shade stops here and there are not much for my deeper complexion sisters.


I picked out my liquid foundation shade in Walnut in no. 33 that's supposedly to be of a neutral undertone but I was intrigued that it looked rather yellow on me. It's like I picked out a neutral toned foundation and mixed a pinch of turmeric in it, not kidding! The yellow-y foundation in Walnut no. 33 was the only closet match to my skin tone. I got to share that their color range offered does not get deeper with the numbers going higher, which can be confusing.

I usually am around the 'sand' type of shade when it comes to the Sephora collection range of face bases (like foundation and concealers) and so I decided to swatch the Sand (neutral undertone) shade in this range, but ended looking a little pink on me. If you would like to try out this foundations, I'd suggest you hit the stores and swatch on your jawline walk around for a while and check back into your mirror under different lights to see which shades will best suit you.

I did a First Impressions Demo/Review on the liquid and powder foundation with a wear test, just to find out if this is the foundation I would want to wear on Deepavali. If you'd like to watch the video, click below!


On camera while filming for this review, I felt the foundation applied yellow on me. However on screen, it looked not bad and matched the rest of my face and neck. It wore well and stayed fresh and matte for about two and a half hours before I spotted shine on the tip and sides of my nose. This is very typical with my oily skin type, my face usually oils up around two hours with makeup and that's a good amount of wear time to check in.


The liquid foundation comes in a easy squeeze-y tube which I don't mind at all! It requires dispensing the required amount to customize my preferred coverage and amount of wear for whatever mood I am in. The packaging may look like there is lesser foundation but it contains the regular amount of foundation like most other brands out there which is a good 30ml of foundation in a plastic tube. Most foundations come in glass bottles and I guess the price tag includes the exterior as well.


The powder foundation comes in 15 shades to complement the liquid foundation with a good amount of medium to full build-able coverage, in my opinion. Again with the tricky shade selection, it was confusing! I originally meant to pick up the same shade in Walnut in no. 33 but noticed the color to be again, yellow and picked up sand (neutral undertone) instead. Strange enough, it still looked yellow on me. It's almost impossible to pick out the shade online without swatch-ing some potential shades first, trust me!


The powder foundation comes in a regular box standard circular compact case with a mirror for easy touch-ups and a sponge beneath the foundation, I would prefer using a stipple, kabuki brush or a beauty sponge to press in the foundation into the skin.

Despite the challenge during shade matching, the liquid and powder foundation were not bad, they held well over a period of 8 hours of wear and touch up was minimal kept to the T-zone. I can see how this range could benefit makeup lovers who would like affordable options outside of the drugstore. It's a real pity that the shade selection is not vast enough to suit many more of us! 

As far as coverage goes, I feel it's around the medium and build-able coverage and you can lock down more coverage with the powder foundation which can be a great combo if you don't like the icing on the cake finish. You could use the liquid foundation in a thin layer to even out skin tone and set it down with the powder foundation.

If you're prone to discoloration and acne break-outs, try spot concealing with the liquid foundation and powder down the rest of the face with the powder for a natural skin-like finish.


I really hope you enjoyed reading today's blog post and review on the all new Sephora's Matte Perfection Liquid and Powder Foundation Review. Leave me a comment if you'd like me to review other products in the beauty category.

That's it for today's post, I shall catch you very soon!


Love,
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

If there are any video requests for me, please drop me a message below. Thank You!!

© TheLeiaV | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig